Incredible Story of Kimchi
- Korea’s most iconic dish is Kimchi. The delicacy is ingrained in the Korean identity.
- Discovery Channel and MKIM & CO. approached our Creative Director to partner with them on a documentary show about kimchi.
- Together we created a 60 minute documentary that dives into the history, culture and science behind the Korean staple dish.
- The documentary is airing globally on Discovery Channel and is available for streaming on Discovery+.
Kimchi is like air to Koreans. The country eats the side dish with almost every single meal. The Korean Government has started a new campaign to promote kimchi around the world.
Discovery Channel and MKIM & CO. were tasked to create a television show that dives into the local delicacy. They approached our Creative Director, Vikash Autar, to create the project together with them.
The show had to explore different aspects of kimchi. Most people in the world don’t know a lot about kimchi. Vikash needed to create a documentary that required to get the audience informed on the basics of kimchi before exploring its rich culture and history. The series also required a science perspective since the documentary would air on Discovery Channel.
The documentary had to combine many angles while still being enticing and fun to watch.
Vikash visualised a program that featured a high pace with a contemporary look. He created a show that was entertaining and switched segments frequently. A television program for the audience of today. Directing a documentary that was fast-paced and that allowed for lots of fun sequences in-between science and history.
By switching from segment to segment the documentary was able to keep the content fresh and engaging. Sections included artistically animated scenes about history and fermentation plus funny tasting segments and even a full-featured cooking class. All fully supported by modern designs and visuals.
WHERE TO WATCH
The show launched on International Kimchi Day and can be viewed on Discovery+ and Discovery Channel.
- Vikash Autar
- Hyeong Jin Lee
- Mart Sarmiento
- Chung Chow
- Executive Producer:
- Mikyung Kim
- Chelsea Li, Monica Chang, Suzanne Tung, Karen Lam
- Production Company:
- Korean Government
- Discovery Channel